Life is not a template and neither is mine. Like several who have worked as journalists, I am a generalist in my over two decade experience across print, global news wires and dotcom firms. But there has been one underlying theme in each phase; life gave me the chance to observe and tell a story -- from early days tracking a securities scam to terror attacks and some of India's most significant court trials. Besides writing, I have jumped fences to become an entrepreneur, as an investment advisor -- and also taught the finer aspects of business journalism to young minds. At Forbes India, I also keep an eye on some of its proprietary specials like the Rich list, GenNext and Celebrity lists. An alumnus of Xavier Institute of Communications and H.R College of Commerce and Economics in Mumbai, I have worked for organisations such as Agence France-Presse, Business Standard, The Financial Express and The Times of India prior to this.
At least 70 percent of North American investors see India as the most attractive market to invest in, among BRIC (Brazil, Russia, India and China) nations, a survey by JP Morgan shows. The remaining 30 percent rank India second to China, the study shows.
India, like most emerging markets, is facing headwinds from the Greek crisis, which, some believe, poses contagion risks for some developing markets. India’s benchmark 30-share index, the Sensex, fell on Monday, in line with a fall across Asian markets, but recovered from intra-day lows as fears of a collapse across Europe eased. On Tuesday, the Sensex ended up 135.68 points, or 0.49 percent, at 27,780.83, on reports that the contagion from a possible Greek exit would be limited. Further, local research firms widely believe India will ride out of this global worry.
China garners the highest share (47 percent) of BRIC investments, followed by India at 24 percent. Brazil (23 percent) and Russia (6 percent) fall next in line. The survey was based on responses from 30 investment professionals from some of the largest North American fund houses, through which investments into Indian companies are made. These investors usually buy into the Indian companies through American Depository Receipts (ADRs) listed overseas or trade in ordinary shares through global funds. The survey was carried out between December last year and January 2015.
“The prospects of long-term economic growth, favourable demographics, BJP’s reform agenda, numerous investment opportunities and a democratic legal system have been cited as the most attractive factors for investing in India,” Vikas Taimni, emerging markets (depository receipts) head, JP Morgan said in the report.