Forbes India 15th Anniversary Special

Valentino cancels June fashion shows after creative director Pierpaolo Piccioli leaves

The Roman fashion house was due to present Men's and Haute Couture collections this summer

Published: Mar 27, 2024 04:18:37 PM IST
Updated: Mar 27, 2024 04:22:41 PM IST

Valentino cancels June fashion shows after creative director Pierpaolo Piccioli leaves Pierpaolo Piccioli has parted ways with the Valentino brand. Image: Gabriel Bouys / AFP

Valentino announced Monday it is cancelling its June fashion shows after longtime creative director Pierpaolo Piccioli parted ways with the Italian luxury brand.

The Roman fashion house was due to present Men's and Haute Couture collections this summer.

Valentino and Piccioli, 56, said last week that the split after 25 years was a "joint decision".

"Creativity will continue to lead the Company as a key pillar, shaping new future collections... elevating the brand’s DNA, its iconic codes, and unrivalled Italian heritage," Valentino said in a statement.  

Until 2016, Piccioli served as co-creative director with Maria Grazia Chiuri, before she moved on to the top spot at Dior.

Designer Valentino Garavani and his business and life partner Giancarlo Giammetti founded the brand in Rome in 1960. It has 211 shops in more than 25 countries.

Valentino is controlled by Qatar investment fund Mayhoola For Investments, with French luxury group Kering holding a 30 percent stake.

Also read: Chloe's new designer, Chemena Kamali, returns to roots

Piccioli's departure marks another episode of change in Italian fashion.  

In February, Moschino took on a new creative director, Argentinian Adrian Appiolaza, following the sudden death of his predecessor Davide Renne just ten days after taking over.

The fashion brands Blumarine and Tod's also came under new creative direction in February.