Dr Nandita Palshetkar
Obstetrician and Gynecologist
Years of experience: 25 years
Dr. Nandita Palshetkar is an IVF Consultant and Director of 11 Bloom IVF Centre for over 25 years. When she was doing her masters in obstetrics and gynecology, she was torn to see two kinds of couples. One which wanted to abort and the other which were trying to conceive. Dr. Nandita wondered why she can't just take the pregnancy from one woman and place it in the other women who wanted to conceive. This gave her a reason to pursue the field of IVF which allows her to help couples who desire to conceive. A philanthropist at heart and an educationist, she has been working for the upliftment of the health of the community and has initiated the She’s Ambassador programme with the underprivileged girls of Mumbai to instill leadership qualities and make them the ambassadors of good health and hygiene in their communities. She has played a significant role in setting up various reputed educational institutes which have helped in the empowerment of the youth of India.
Charting the Path
She is an alumnus of the renowned Grant Medical College Mumbai and has pursued her further education and training from the world famous IVF units in Belgium. Her greatest inspiration is her father, Dr DY Patil who is a philanthropist and an educationist. He came from a humble background and always helped people in whatever way he could. He inspired Dr. Nandita in a way that nobody could. According to Dr. Nandita, the biggest risk she took was getting into the field of IVF. When she joined the field it was still in its infancy. The success rate in the 90’s was only 10%. She always wondered whether she chose the right field.
Challenges and Risks
During her career she soon discovered that she had a particular talent for those areas of medicine that were more intensive and practical which are as follows- A high risk pregnancy might pose challenges before, during or after delivery. Special targeted ultra sounds & blood tests like Dual Markers, Quadruple markers, and NON invasive prenatal testing is done to keep a track that developing foetus is free from chromosomal abnormalities. A special test for patients with bad obstetric history and the role of low molecular weight heparin plays an important role in managing pregnancy till term. Dr. Nandita has contributed mark in all these areas.
• I love surrounding myself with young energy and I love having a young team around me. They are very insightful and full of fresh ideas.
• I enjoy the enthusiasm of the youth and they give me the energy to keep on going.
• Also I believe in including everyone while growing. This really improves the morale of my team and also helps develop a healthy environment in the clinic.
• Giving everyone the opportunity to grow is the only way, the field of IVF and development of the country can happen.
• I focused my attention on building my communication, practical and surgical skills to the highest possible standard.
• I have been able to achieve a success rate of 50 to 60 % in the field of infertility. It gives me great joy to help these patients attain parenthood.
Disclaimer:The pages slugged ‘Brand Connect’ are equivalent to advertisements and are not written and produced by Forbes India journalists.